After many ordeals in scratch baking this year, I learned to appreciate the magical mass that is dough. Dough is a simple paste of ground grain and liquid that can pave the way to a vast number of complex outcomes. I'm just sick of all the sweet ones. And ovens. I'm ready to move on the the savory realm of dough, and I'm leaving the oven behind.
The bake sale has officially come and gone, and I don't think we did too shabby. We brought in over $3000 at the bake sale (that's a lot of cookies), which combined with our cash donations, auction and raffle prizes for over $9000. Pretty decent for a first run, but the bottom line is great for the kids and charity.
Of course there were many lessons learned, things I would and wouldn't do again--but for now I'm taking a break and cooking something savory. Thank you everyone for all your help. If you'd like to see pictures of the event, please navigate the the Photo Gallery where I made a thumbnail gallery.
Finally, here are the three auction lots that you can bid on to support Share Our Strength in the battle against child hunger. On Wednesday, I will give each lot their own blog post, and bids will take place in the comments. At 7pm on May 7th, the day of the bake sale, I will close commenting on the items and contact the winner. For the bid to be eligible, you must provide your name and e-mail address on each bid.
Until Wednesday, think about which one of these great lots you want most:
- Big Weekend at Big Jones - A seven course tour for two with drink pairings and a three course brunch for two with pairings at Big Jones. To walk off the meals, the winner gets to take a tour of Koval Distillery with accompanied tasting at In Fine Spirits.
- Dinner at Sea - Private access to a four course dinner with pairings cooked by executive chef Breanna Beike at the Columbia Yacht Club on the bow of the boat. Pairs with two tickets to Passing Strange.
- Dinner and Live Theatre - Off menu dinner for two by Andrew Brochu of Kith & Kin with wine pairings by Freddy Brown of Fine Vines, and two tickets to Steppenwolf Theatre.
- Dinner and Live Theatre for Oenophiles - Unique menu for two created by Kristine Subido of Wave, with a case of wine including (among others) 2007 Chateauneuf du Pape, Arroyo Valley Pinot Noir, Turley Zinfandel, Six sigma Sauvignon Blanc, Stag's Leap Artimus, and Feuillatte Palms d'Or champagne. The night concludes with transportation to Navy Pier, and two tickets to the Chicago Shakespeare theater.
In addition to the 50+ different baked goods available at the Share Our Strength Bake Sale at The Butcher and Larder on May 7th, there will be an online auction and raffle ticket prizes. Raffle tickets are $5 each, or 5 for $20. Below is a list of most of the prizes:
- Flourish Bakery - Bread of the Month Membership
- Volo Restaurant Wine Bar - $40 Gift Card
- Paramount Room - $40 Gift Card
- Kitschn on Roscoe - $30 Gift Card
- Fine Vines - Wine
- The Southern - Gift card; Truck Ride Along
- Shui Tea - Coffee Replacement Pack and No Caffeine Pack ($55 value)
- Aspire Coffeeworks - Elegant Brew Gift Basket
- The Local Tourist - Two AlphaBeer Passes ($80 value)
- SkoFit - Yoga Classes
- Rockit Bar & Grill - $75 Gift Certificate
- Mommy Sculpt Fitness - 5 Personal Training Sessions
- Pinstripes - $25 Gift Certificate
- Market Bar - Brunch for Two with a bottle of Veuve
- Fashion Flirts - Jewelry Set
- Master Stylist Jon-David - $100 gift certificate; Autographed Copy of Mafia Hairdresser Book
- A La Card Chicago -Dining Deck
- Drink Deck - 2 Drink Decks
- Cubby Bear - $100 Gift Certificates
- HUM Spirits - HUM
- Koval Distillery - Orange Blossom Liqueur
- Olmec Altos - Tequila
- Supreme Lobster - $50 Gift Certificate
- Falafill - $25 Gift Certificates
- Lindsay L. Burch, Craniosacral Therapist - 2 x 1 hour Craniosacral Therapy sessions ($160 value)
- Lush Wine and Spirits - Wine Tasting for six
- Vintage Wines, LLC - Basket of Wine
- and more!
I think it's safe to say there's something for everyone, so buy some tickets! They're available for sale now, and will also be available at the bake sale.
There will also be several very special auction items, which I will reveal later.